Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Horse Play

When deciding what activities to do this year it wasn't hard to pick!  I'm actually quite selfish when it comes to choosing activities.  Can all the kids participate - or a least a couple? - I don't like driving all over town multiple times a week.  Is it near supper time?  I don't like to be rushed before or after supper or I end up driving through Mc D's and having an awful stomach ache. Will I have to wake up early?  There's no chance I'll make it on time.  How much is this going to cost?  I've heard of parents spending $10, 000 a year on sports! Will I have to travel for tournaments?  I have better things to do on the weekend.  These are all questions that I consider but most importantly I want my kids to enjoy it, I do not want to feel like it's a chore.  I watch too many families sign up for sports or other activities and are running almost every night of the week.  Then they are off to tournaments or competitions on the weekends - spending money on hotels and eating out.  Looking from the outside in they do not seem happy about it either.  I hear so many complaints that it makes me wonder who signed the kids up for it in the first place.  There is always the exception where it is the child's passion but I'm more interested in balance. 

We ended up choosing Western Riding Lessons at Midnight's Trail.  Levi (6) was not too sure about it.  He was concerned about how large a horse was and how he would be able to fit on one.  Max was excited until the morning of then started to get nervous.  Zoe just couldn't wait.  Our first class was this past Monday which was exciting because Scott had a day off and he could come too.  The kids had so much fun and are asking everyday when we are going back.  My favorite part was that I could schedule a time during the day - which leaves us free in the evenings!  I love homeschooling!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us a note! We'd love to hear from you!